What: Honoring the lives of those who've passed into eternal life.
Why: To bury the dead is a Corporal Work of Mercy and November is the month of All Souls. But this month's challenge is not limited to simply attending a funeral or burial. We've got more ideas below.
Why, you may wonder, would honoring the lives of the dead help to build a civilization of love for those of us still living on Earth? Through our prayers and actions, we show our respect for life, which is always a gift from God, and by comforting those who've lost a loved one we can be the hands and feet of Christ.
Learn more from the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops here.
Pick your CHALLENGE:
- Attend a burial.
- Make a donation to your parish or local Catholic cemetery to assist a family in covering funeral expenses.
- The Catholic Cemeteries, which provides burial options in the Twin Cities has several funds including the Archbishop Harry J. Flynn Compassionate Assistance Fund which helps cover the associated costs of burial for families who are unable to pay for burial services.
- Attend or assist at a funeral Mass.
- Does your parish have a committee that helps with flowers or funeral lunches?
- Have a Mass said for the repose of someone's soul
- Send a card to someone who has recently lost a loved one.
- Make your own card and use some of these prayers.
- Spend time in Adoration or offer a Rosary for the Poor Souls in Purgatory.
- Check with your local cemetery to see how you can assist and then gather your friends, family, or fellow parishioners and volunteer.
- Visit the grave of a friend, loved one, or someone unknown to you and spend time in prayer for the repose of his or her soul.
- Spend time planning your own funeral Mass, read through the Order of Christian Funerals, and find our hope in the Resurrection.
Set your GOAL:
Depending on your challenge, you will want to set yourself a goal - whether it be material, financial, or spiritual. Some examples include:
- Gather 5 friends to join you for 2 hours of cleaning up your parish cemetery
- Make a dozen condolence cards that can be given to people who lose a loved one
- Raise $1,000 to donate to a family's funeral expenses
- Have 3 Masses said over the course of the month for loved ones who've passed away
- Or set your own!
Determine your AUDIENCE:
Who do you want to join you in your monthly challenge?
- Just yourself!
- Your family and friends
- Your parish
- Your social media friends
- Or whomever you want!
Once you have an idea of how you want to step up to the challenge this month, fill in your name and information, and make sure to tell us your idea!
We will highlight people's actions to help inspire others to take action, too! If you want to remain anonymous, just state that in your comments.